Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Discipline


When it comes to disciplining children everyone has an opinion. I am a firm believer that spanking is part of discipline. It should not be used in the place of teaching a lesson, and it should also be used sparingly. I have two children, my daughter needed a spanking one time, my son is a whole different story. We never spanked to hurt, we don't beat our kids, but sometimes you need to get the attention when all reasoning has been tossed out of the window. Our son was extremely difficult from the age 2-4, most boys are at that age. We tried several different techniques when he would go in to his tantrums, and most did not hold up. The worst is when you are out in a store and it comes on, what do you do? Some experts say you should leave and that is punishing the child. To me that is a punishment to the parent, because now you have to make another trip. I was at Target one day when my son was three, and he started to throw a tantrum, so I gave him a swat on the butt and told him to knock it off, to which he did. When I looked up there was a lady staring at me like I  just committed a horrible crime, so I politely asked her if she wanted one next! When it comes to ignoring your child's bad behavior, please do this at home, nobody enjoys watching and hearing your kid scream and throw a fit in the store or restaurant. There are discrete ways of dealing with it so do it! If you are not going to parent your child, or teach them to respect who will? Teachers hands are tied, because they can no longer discipline without getting in trouble. There is nothing wrong with a good ol fashioned spanking, done in good taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment